PB Field Hockey takes on Gaithersburg

Hurelayn Abdu, Staff Writer

On October first the Paint Branch Panthers played against the Gaithersburg Trojans.  Paint Branch went into the game having lost all four games played. Gaithersburg went into the game having won one game, tied one game and lost one game, giving them a slight advantage. When asked who she thought would win, the head coach Erika Handy said, “I know if we play a tight and disciplined game against Gaithersburg High School we will undoubtedly win.” She also added, “We have an incredibly strong offense that is chomping at the bit to score, our defense has progressively gotten better throughout the season.” She added “I cannot predict the final score but I am confident it’ll be a great game.”

Although it was a chilly and rainy day the Lady Panthers proceeded to play the game as if it was no big deal. In the first 14 minutes the Panthers were able to score their first goal of the season by freshman Katherine Windsor, and before the Trojans could even reset sophomore Angel Ogunnaike scored with a quick and well thought out assist from junior Ivania Morales. After the Panthers scored the two goals there was a power struggle eventually ending up with a goal by the Gaithersburg Trojans, but the Lady Panthers did not give up and they continued to play a swift game with quick passes and a defense that would not let a ball go anywhere near the goal. Sweeper Marie Lauren blocked hit after hit crushing the Trojans chance of scoring within the first half.

After a quick halftime the players proceeded back on to the field and the Panthers quickly gained possession of the ball and tried to shoot but they were met with the sticks of the Trojans defense. But the Lady Panthers were fearless and continued to try to score. They eventually were able to score a goal during a penalty corner by junior Princess Melendez and an assist by junior Marly Darcelin. The Trojans later regained possession of the ball after a couple penalty hits and were able to land one more goal, but not without the Panthers defense and goalie gallantly trying to stop the ball.

After the Trojan’s second goal the Lady Panthers were even more motivated and the defense blocked hit after hit to make sure that the Trojans would have no chance in scoring. The game ended in a 3-2 victory for the Paint Branch Panthers.