PB Music Brings Winter Concert Cheer

Godsee Joy, Editor in Chief

On Wednesday December 16th at 7 p.m., Paint Branch high school’s talented music department put on their annual Winter Concert featuring great performances by concert chorus, jazz ensemble, symphonic band, and so much more.

The show kicked off with concert chorus – led by Vocal Music Director Ms. Christine Mitchell. They began with the men’s chorus singing “Tshotsholoza,” a traditional South African song. The gentlemen added in a wonderful and unique step routine that definitely brought the song to life. Next, the full chorus arrived singing “Adoremus Te,” jumping right into the holiday spirit with this holy sounding song. They then continued with “Lift Up Your Voice,” which was an upbeat, uplifting song with a clapping routine. They followed that with the culturally touching “Ose Shalom,” then the classic “My Girl” with the men adding in some classy moves, and concluding with the holiday favorite, “Jingle Bells,” with bubbly energy.

Next the Jazz ensemble got set up – led by Instrumental Music Director Mr. Sean Kirchhoff – and began with five enjoyable songs and concluding with the well-known theme song from Family Guy. The ensemble featured solos by students, including Donovan Parris, Liliana Rosario, Lizandro Galvez, Sam Cushman, and Evan Burgess to name a few.

The energetic jazz singers, who began with the funky and upbeat “Shake Your Groove Thing,” continued with “Uptown Funk,” and “All of Me.” This was followed with “Wings” by the ladies, in an empowering, sassy and inspiring style. They kept the audience engaged with their final song, “You Can’t Stop the Beat.”

Then, the concert band joined the stage opening with “Wedgewood Festival,” which was specially conducted by student teacher conductor Helen Kong. Concert band continued with the lyrical “Horkstow Grange,” and concluded with “Cedar Valley March.”

Symphonic band followed with two more beautiful pieces. Their last song, “Elements,” was my personal favorite with a free-spirited crescendo for air, steady style for water, strength for earth, and an unpredictable and intense tone for fire.

Then came the string orchestra, opening with the beautiful song, “Sunburst.” After three more lovely compositions, they ended with “Bitter Sweet Symphony.”

The concert ended with the full orchestra playing its annual tradition of “Sleigh Ride” in which all alumni in the audience were invited to join the stage with their instruments.

The Winter Concert went beautifully as it always does. Missed out? Don’t worry, you can still catch the Spring Concert later this year.