Burtonsville Day Brings the Good Vibes

Chigy Nwogu, Staff Writer

Last Saturday, the 27th annual Burtonsville Day festivities took place right in our neighborhood. The warm, fun-filled day began with a parade starting at Paint Branch High School.

The parade included plenty of talented groups including the Eastern Middle School Step Team and the East County Strings Students. Other local organizations such as The Beauty Startup, Greenbelt Dog Training and Afrobeat Dance were a part of the parade as well. People lined the streets, gleefully watching the procession make its way down toward its end point, the Marilyn J. Praisner Community Recreation Center.

Afterward, attendees gathered in the center’s parking lot to enjoy the many booths that the festival had to offer. This family-friendly event offered many options for both parents and children, who especially enjoyed spending their time playing small games such as the bean bag and ring toss, and tirelessly hopping around in the moonbounce. Children also transformed into little tigers, lions, and fairies after a stop at the face painting station.

Many students from our area took a day off from homework to appreciate the festivities. When asked about her time living in Burtonsville, Assata Phillips, a senior at Paint Branch High School, answered, “I really like the community. We’re very tight-knit and always together.”

Neveah Pendarvis, another senior, said, “It’s small and collective, and everyone is very friendly.”   

Aside from activities, plenty of booths selling goods were open to all guests. Vendors offered jewelry, t-shirts and other small pieces of merchandise. Inside the library, bookworms could get novels signed by  some of the authors on hand or purchase new books at the used book sale. Many people took the opportunity to support local businesses including multiple food vendors. Anabel’s Mobile Kitchen, a Southern, Caribbean, and Hispanic fusion vendor, filled the air with a delicious aroma that brought them endless customers all day. Likewise, the Kona Ice Cream Truck sold snow cones to help temper the heat. All in all, it was a successful day for these companies.

With the midterm election on its way, campaigners set up their booths to advocate for their candidates, pass out flyers and stickers, and answer any questions from voters. Nancy Floreen and Marc Elrich, candidates for County Executive both took part in the event and were able to communicate directly with their constituents and gain more insight on the residents of Burtonsville. Representatives from professional institutions such as Montgomery College were present as well.

Alexis Smith, an EMT at the Burtonsville Fire Department, an organization that consistently takes part in the event, said, “My favorite part is the parade and interacting with everyone in the community.” Staff members from many areas of the county were available to educate interested guests about their positions.

As the day came to a close, families piled into their vans, vendors packed up their goods, and the moonbounce eventually came down. People went home happily after a great day, and can only hang on to the memories until another year rolls around.