College Corner: The Common Application

Seniors, let’s face it; we all dreaded coming back to school for our last year. For some of us, senioritis is already kicking in, but we’ve got to remember – we still have some pesky classes to pass and college applications to face. Whether you’re applying to Cornell University or Le Moyne College, the Common Application will keep you from ripping your hair out during the process.

Since its creation over 35 years ago, the Common Application has become a widely used application for undergraduate students. In fact, over 500 universities – both the safeties and the reaches – use The Common App. While not every college accepts the Common App, those who do will surely save you a stupendous amount of time filling out separate applications for each college. However, while many colleges do accept the Common App, be sure not to forget about the writing supplement each college requires in addition to it.

The Common Application attempts to explore nearly all aspects of a student’s life. The profile section of the application not only requires basic information such as a student’s name, date of birth, and the usual boring stuff, but also goes deeper into a student’s geography, demographics, and languages; it even includes a section to provide one’s family’s background.

After the standard  education and testing sections – filling in GPA’s, class ranks, and test scores – the application then gives students a chance to provide more information about their daily lives in the activities section. The Common App gives students a chance to select from various activity types – from academic and athletic to religious or work-related – and gives 10 activity slots for students to fill in.  For some students, 10 may not be enough but .for others, they seriously wonder if they should “stretch” to fill those slots. As The New York Times reports, “The answer, say deans of admissions and the creators of the application itself, is a resounding ‘No.’”

The most tedious part, for many, is the application essay. With it come the fears of picking the right prompt, staying on or below the word limit and, let’s not forget, sounding sincere.  While grades and test scores can say a lot, the essay reveals an applicant’s personality that might just give them the edge over another. Admissions officers at Yale University share that the most important thing for students to remember is to “write about something that matters to you.” Despite the topic chosen, it’s better to write a superb essay on a common topic than a weak essay on an unusual one.

Lastly, don’t forget that help is always available. Whether you’re confused about the process or need essays proofread, teachers and counselors are willing to support you any time.