The Student Newspaper of Paint Branch High School

MAINSTREAM

MAINSTREAM

MAINSTREAM

Smacktalk Backtalk: My NBA MVP Ballot

Smacktalk

With the NBA season coming to an end the most prestigious individual award – the NBA MVP – has been announced. With the new Player Participation Policy in effect, some fans may consider the winner, Nikola Jokic, to have an asterisk by his name since players like Jimmy Butler, Donovan Mitchell, and reigning MVP Joel Embiid were not eligible for any awards this year, most notably MVP.

With those other players out of the discussion, my choice for MVP is Shai Gilgeous-Alexander of the Oklahoma City Thunder. SGA averaged 30 points 5.5 rebounds and 6.2 assists per game and averaged 2 steals a game on the other side of the ball. What put him above the other candidates was leading the Thunder from 10th spot in the west last year to the 1st seed this year. Not only are they the 1 seed, they are the youngest by average age top seed in league history.

Second place on my ballot would go to Luka Doncic of the Dallas Mavericks who led the league in scoring with 33.9 points per game. What’s even more impressive about that is he also averaged 9.8 assists and 9.2 rebounds to go along with the crazy scoring. Doncic led the Mavericks to the 5 seed with a 50-32 record which is a big improvement from last year when they were the 11 seed with a 38-44 record.

Third place on my ballot is Nikola Jokic of the Denver Nuggets. Jokic is no stranger to being in this conversation as he has been top 10 in MVP voting for 6 straight years. He led the Nuggets to the 2 seed with 57 wins by averaging 26.4 points with 12.6 rebounds and 9 assists. While these are great numbers, I feel that the other two candidates deserved it more.

Backtalk

The future of the NBA is bright with many young and talented players in the game today. Now that the playoffs are in full swing and the finals just weeks away, it is time to pick who I think should have been this season’s MVP.

I’ll get straight to it: Dallas forward Luka Doncic is my pick as MVP. Luka had a season for the ages, one that saw him move into third place all-time for average scoring at just over 28 points per game. This places him just behind Michael Jordan and Wilt Chamberlain. By averaging 33.9 points, 9.2 rebounds, and 9.8 assists per game this year, Luka dominated. The league’s leading scorer helped the Mavericks improve their playoff position from 8th to 5th and they took out the Clippers in round one.

Having already won back-to-back MVPs in 2020-21 and 2021-22, Denver’s Nikola Jokic was once again a front runner for the award and while the league picked him this year, he is my runner up. Joker put up monster numbers with 26 ppg, 12 assists, and 9 boards. Using his ability to come into the paint and make his dominant presence known with a pass-first playing style, Jokic is able to space the floor and create opportunities for his teammates because he always makes the right reads. With his team finishing second in the Western Conference, Jokic finishes just behind Doncic on my ballot.

Mr. Consistent, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander of Western Conference number one seed Oklahoma City Thunder, is my number three player for MVP. SGA is on my ballot due to his consistent 30 points a night and his ability to get to his spots and knock down clutch baskets, which led to him having six 40+ games this season. This is SGA’s first time in the MVP conversation and many, like Ryan, think he should have won for bringing his young Thunder team to the playoffs for the first time since the 2019-2020 season.