Schools Should Strictly Enforce A Dress Code: Pro

Students are entitled to freedom of expression – which often manifests itself through clothing – but in an age where such clothing is often considered provocative or even offensive, does that element of the First Amendment carry over into the classroom?

The simple answer is, yes. The dress code guidelines for the 2013-2014 school year, contrary to students’ misconceptions, are not all new; instead, Dr. Rogers has decided to strictly enforce the existing rules. She intends to create fewer distractions in school, elevating students’ performance and placing them in a professional environment.

Supposedly, clothes make the man – or do they? A 1998 study conducted by the Sociology Department at the University of Notre Dame studied the effectiveness of an extreme form of dress codes – uniforms. The study concluded that “uniforms have no direct effect on substance use, behavioral problems or attendance.” If uniforms show no significant improvement in students’ performance, dress codes will not have a measurable effect.

Parents and teachers alike tell students – excuse the cliché – to express themselves, and for many students that expression takes form through clothes. If my form of expression, however, is through a crop top or a Budweiser T-shirt, I’m hindered from “expressing myself.” In a society where people idolize individualism, dress codes implement a policy that suppresses a student’s creativity and constructs an environment forcing students to conform to certain standards.

The intent for dress codes is to foster a professional environment in which students can prosper, preparing us for a future in the workplace – but only if they’re strictly enforced. The problem is that, unlike uniforms, dress codes are open to interpretation; what may be a too-short a skirt to one person may be long enough to another, creating disparities among teachers and administrators in what they deem “acceptable.” Administrators send students down to the office for wearing something “inappropriate,” and the students claim “so-and-so was wearing something worse.” If the staff fails to implement the rules, a dress code may be just as ineffective as not having one in the first place.

Long story short, guidelines are necessary – you can’t get away with coming to school in a bathing suit. However, as long you can wear an outfit without losing your dignity, dress codes should not be strictly enforced.