Being Disorganized Not a Lost Cause

With binders, folders, and planners, how is it that many students still seem to struggle with staying organized?

As the school year begins, students do their back-to-school shopping and, for the most part, are able to place all assignments where they belong. However, as the year progresses, and the workload piles up, papers seem to get lost in the abyss of backpacks.

Several “explanations” factor into lack of organization. First is convenience. It doesn’t seem to make sense that students are unorganized out of convenience when organization would make finding work even more convenient. However, teachers tend to teach up until the bell and, when it rings, students typically end up shoving papers into the bottom of their bags. Organization is the least of their worries when they’re trying to make it to their next class.

Second is not utilizing resources. I don’t have enough fingers and toes to count how many times someone has asked me or I’ve asked someone for homework. Even though we all received agendas, they seem to be sparsely used. Teachers give assignments and due dates and many students claim that they had “no clue” and show up to class empty-handed, all because they didn’t want to take a minute to write their assignment down. I’ve definitely been guilty of this a couple of times.

Simple laziness seems to be the ultimate culprit for disorganization.  Students often complain that they have way too much work, so there’s no way they can stay on top of assignments. Seniors tend to use the excuse of “senioritis.”

Regardless of your excuse for disorganization, college professors will not be so forgiving if you lose an assignment or show up empty-handed. So, better late than never to start organizing. Start with setting aside some time to clean out your backpack. Never throw away your papers. Store them in a box and save them as study guides for midterms and final exams. Take a trip to any office supply store and pick out the tools that will best help you organize. Also utilize your agenda; you receive it for more than being used as simply a hall pass.