College Corner

High School May Be Over, But We Still Have Work To Do

Seniors, the time has finally come. AP exams have come to an end, senior exams aren’t part of our biggest worries, and graduation is the most prevalent subject on our minds. We have loved and cherished the past four years, but we are all ready to get out of here.

When it comes to college, the hardest part is over – the national deadline to commit has passed, and we all finally know where we’re going to be this fall. We might think – and even wish – that ahead of us lay 3 months of sheer nothingness, but contrary to that popular belief is the fact that we still have a handful of important tasks to take care of in the summer before we start college. Lynn Jacobs and Jeremy Hyman, authors of The Secrets of College Success, compile some tips for the next class of college freshmen in a recent New York Times article, “A Pre-College Summer To-Do List.”

Primarily, Jacobs and Hymen say, “Pre-orient yourself.” Once you commit to a college, you will select a date for orientation in which you will not only have the opportunity to pick your classes, but also the opportunity to get acquainted with your college and campus life. Although it is the college’s intention that you use orientation to familiarize yourself and to facilitate your transition to college, often the information may become overwhelming and, ironically, disorient you. So, “pre-orient yourself.” Do some research on the orientation process, the classes offered, and even the credit given for your AP exams.

Next, the authors advise, “Get yourself into the college mind-set.” Whether we know it or not, throughout the past years we have become accustomed to people holding our hands and spoon-feeding us: teachers reminding us about upcoming due dates and parents nagging us about homework. In college, the tables will turn and professors will expect that you take charge of your life and operate as an independent adult. What seems horrible now – skipping class or forgetting to turn in a paper – might seem completely normal in college. Use your time this summer take control of your life, meet your responsibilities, and learn effective time management.

Interestingly, Jacobs and Hyman encourage students to brush up on a foreign language. Many colleges require a minimum of two years of foreign language, which many students complete and have had ample practice of throughout their high school years and then conveniently wipe from their memory. However, if traveling abroad during college is something that interests you, start practicing the language of a country you’d like to visit and perhaps study in someday.

Lastly, engage yourself in a life-changing activity. It’s tempting to spend the entire summer moping around and watching Netflix or relaxing at the beach to reward yourself and take a break from the hard work of the past four years, but use this summer to do something that will enrich and change your life. You are, after all, about to enter a new world.

It’s time for us to move on with our lives and make new memories with new people over the next few years, creating a memorable college experience. I wish everyone the best in their future endeavors – good luck class of 2014!