Prom 2018: Celebrating a Masquerade Ball

Abdu, Hurelayn H (Student)

Justice Abbott, Staff Writer

Prom. This one word represents an evening that students have been waiting for all year. After months and months of preparation for some, it finally arrived with all of the glitz and glamour one would expect.
On Friday, May 4th, Paint Branch students and their dates flooded into the University of Maryland Riggs Alumni Center eager to hit the dance floor. Upon entering the event, prom goers were greeted by Dr. Yarbrough and other administrators, who enjoyed seeing students in the formal attire. To capture the event, a team of student photographers were on hand to take photos.

The night began around 9pm as people made their entrances – some dramatic, some fashionably late. The ballroom was illuminated with dim blue lights, bright strobes flashing periodically, and music playing in the background to allow conversation. Tasty hors d’oeuvres were served buffet style, along with fresh lemonade and tea. Students helped themselves to food and drinks before hitting the dance floor.

After doors closed at approximately 10 pm, the DJ turned the music up and Jasmine Hubbard and her date, John Cumberland, got the dance floor started! Immediately everyone made their way to the floor and it seemed to be a million students dancing. The dance crowd remained steady all night as the class of 2018 was full of energy from start to finish. With all the dancing, the ballroom became pretty humid but that didn’t stop the party!

Senior Dee Holgate reported that “Prom was lit because the DJ was playing all the best songs!”
Naomi Diggs, a junior who attended with a senior, stated, “It was an unforgettable night and I can’t wait for my second time next year.”

Toward the end of the night, students were instructed to take their seats as Iyin Harris and Sindy Abayenh were announced prom king and queen. They shared a romantic slow dance alone before other couples joined in. It was the perfect ending to such a fun filled event.

When the clock struck midnight, prom goers were escorted out of the Riggs Center and into the parking lot to meet their cars and head back to PB for after prom festivities. Arriving at Paint Branch, students were greeted by palm trees and flip flops as the school was transformed into a tropical island. Students played laser tag, Jenga, and ran through obstacle courses until exhaustion or 3AM, whichever came first.

For those who worked up an appetite, there was pizza, hot dogs, and cotton candy available for all after prom attendees. Senior David Turnbo shared that “After prom was a lot more fun than I expected and the food was good.”