SGA Activities Fair a Hit for Everyone

If you were anywhere near the Martin Luther King, Jr. hallway on Friday September 20th, you were probably drawn to the sights and sounds of the SGA Activities Fair.

Held at the grand staircase on the first floor during lunch, the SGA Activities Fair featured clubs, friends, and entertainment. More than a dozen clubs set up tables and poster boards along the outer walls of the concourse, advertising their clubs to students passing by.

While many clubs used strategic tactics to draw interest to their table, none were as successful as the Hispanic Awareness Club. Mr. Burgos, one of the club sponsors, kept rich, lively dance music flowing throughout the fair and attracted many to the makeshift dance floor underneath the grand staircase. Other clubs, such as the Gay-Straight Alliance and Class of 2015 Clubs, enticed students with Jolly Ranchers.

One of the clubs present at the event was the Environmental Club, led by President Nathnael Asfaw. When asked about upcoming activities for the club, he mentioned the annual Chesapeake Bay Field Trip. “Basically, we go canoeing and pick up trash,” he said about the early April trip. “It’s very fun.” He also added that the best reason to join the Environmental Club is because of the SSL hours and the fact that the club is not very time-consuming.

One of the clubs generating the most interest among students was the Forensics Club. Club representative Rebekah Senderling explained more about what Forensics Club is all about. “You practice public speaking and read children’s books and poetry, and people grade you,” said the junior. She added that meetings happen about 4 times a year. “Points for the Forensics National Team look great to colleges, too!” she exclaimed over the music blaring in the background.

Ultimately, the SGA Activities Fair gave students a chance to try new clubs, the clubs a chance to recruit new students, and everyone a break in their day to do a little dancing.