Paint Branch Welcomes a New Leader and Some Fresh Ideas

Paint+Branch+Principal+Dr.+Myriam+Rodgers+

Erin Krespan

Paint Branch Principal Dr. Myriam Rodgers

As the new school year at Paint Branch High School began, it brought along with it some big changes for staff and students alike.

Along with welcoming new principal Dr. Rogers, students and staff have adjusted to a few new rules and several modified school policies.  Interestingly, the new rules – each of which benefit students – were not what students referred to when they took issue with the school’s “new rules.”

What was an issue for some students was the rule modifications and increased enforcement of existing rules such as those associated with clothing.  This emphasis on enforcing the rules a little more closely than in the past met with some resistance early in the school year and came to be called the “new rules.”

“A few students tried to wear whatever they wanted,” said Dr. Rogers of the first few weeks of school, “but that drastically decreased.”

Dr. Rogers’ stand on proper school attire was based on her desire to secure “a learning environment with limited distractions.”

While the dress code was not new, school administration asked students to follow the code more closely.  Wardrobe choices that revealed one’s underwear or private parts or contained inappropriate messages promoting sex or drugs were still not acceptable.  If a student did not choose to follow these guidelines, s/he was be sent to the office and provided a change of clothes.

This ambitious focus on student attire garnered with several thank-you notices from the community, reported Dr. Rogers, who went on to explain that she received “lots of emails with overwhelmingly positive feedback.”   One particular note she received commented on her approach and vision, and stated, “…you have my full support.”

The inspiration behind this new enforcement was not entirely Dr. Rogers’ vision as she consulted and took into account comments from the students themselves.  She noted that students expressed their disgust with how some of their peers dressed to come came to school and the stir they created.

Upon the dawn of the new school year, the school administration surveyed several sports teams and school-related clubs to ask what they wanted to see this year.  The administration received a call for better-dressed surroundings.

“By the people, for the people,” said Dr. Rogers, who hoped that this would ultimately lead to a stronger learning environment.

As for what is actually new, students are now allowed to listen to their music via headphones in between classes instead of just before school and during LAP (Lunch Activity Period). Dr. Rogers stressed the importance of embracing technology in the educational setting rather than shying away from it.  She said she wants to slowly and responsibly bring Paint Branch toward “more tech-based usage.”

Another new rule is that juniors who meet the academic requirement are allowed to leave the school grounds during LAP, a privilege that was previously afforded only to seniors.

“I feel like we deserved it,” said junior Syovester Sarkodie.

Dr. Rogers explained that juniors had “fought for a very long time” to achieve this privilege and the administration ultimately “gave it the okay.”

“I think it’s not fair,” said senior Benji Papa, representing a fair number of seniors’ feelings on this change.

With these minor changes for this school year, Dr. Rogers and the Paint Branch administration expected to see a better learning environment for students, meanwhile properly preparing them for future success.