Meet Dr. Rogers

Paint+Branch+Principal+Dr.+Myriam+Rodgers+

Erin Krespan

Paint Branch Principal Dr. Myriam Rodgers

After tearfully saying goodbye to Ms. Dixon in June, students were anxious as they awaited word regarding who would take over the reins as principal.

In June, the time for waiting was over as the students, staff and community learned that the new principal would be Dr. Myriam Rogers.  However, for students in particular, one key question remained:  Just who is Dr. Rodgers?

As the Academy of Science and Media, Paint Branch is a strong fit for Dr. Rogers, who has a strong science background in both teaching and administration.  Of course, Paint Branch students were quite used to Ms. Dixon’s motherly personality and did not know what to expect from Dr. Rogers.  It turns out that this is something we won’t have to miss, as Dr. Rodgers is a mother of four children ranging in age from 4 to 21.

Dr. Rodgers has expressed a strong sense of caring about Paint Branch and during her time at Paint Branch, she aims to make it a fun, welcoming, and safe environment for all students. She wants to reach all students in order to ensure that every single student has the desire to be in school.

If you are still wondering just who Dr. Rogers is – read on and find out some more inside information on our school’s new leader.

Mainstream: Where did you go to college?

“I went to Bowie State University and majored in biology and chemistry and then received my Master’s Degree for Secondary Education and Science [at Bowie State]. Then I earned my Doctorate in Education Policy and Leadership at the University of Maryland.”

Mainstream: Where did you work before Paint Branch?

“I began working at Woodlawn High School as a chemistry teacher at age 20 for a couple of years and then worked at Blake High School for one year. I then moved to Westland Middle School and worked as the head of the science department and the team leader. I then began to work in administration at Einstein High School and then as an Assistant Principal at Parkland Middle School. I also worked as a principal intern at Blair High School.”

Mainstream: What inspired you to work in Administration?

“I loved chemistry and the environment of the classroom, but I wanted to keep helping more and more students. When I started seeing the effect I was having on students in the classroom and being able to reach students, I started thinking about how I could reach more students.”

Mainstream: What is it like to be a principal?

“The responsibility is greater. Everything I do is for Paint Branch. Instead of going home from work and being able to separate work and home, Paint Branch is always on my mind. I am constantly thinking about everything I can do to make student life better.”

Mainstream: What are your three main goals for Paint Branch?

Environment: a welcoming and safe environment where all students feel a part of it

Instruction: top quality; students are engaged

Student life: providing an experience that makes students want to be in school