Vending Machines: Too Clutch

We’ve all felt it before; you’re walking to class, and all of a sudden you get a craving. Or maybe you’re waiting for your bus and your stomach starts to rumble. Maybe you forgot your lunch and only have a few dollars. For all these problems, there is a simple solution – vending machines.

Until you look around the hallways and realize there aren’t any.

Two years ago, the students in the old Paint Branch building enjoyed the many benefits of vending machines located in various hallways. However, when the new school was built, former principal Ms. Dixon made the decision to exclude the machines from the hallways and, ever since, the students have gone hungry.

Vending machines bring several benefits to schools. Vending machines bring in profits to schools that can be turned around and spent on programs that are in need of funding, such as the PE and music departments. They also reduce the volume of people at the school store during LAP or – occasionally – after school, thus easing the pressure on teachers who give their time to work there.

Vending machines are an affordable way to help students get increased access to food before, during, and after school. While they require maintenance, the pressure taken off the staff of the school store and cafeteria would even it out. Plus, students would be much more productive during lunch if they didn’t spend 20 minutes of their time waiting in line for their food.

One of the major hurdles staff face on the topic of vending machines is nutrition. Parents worry that their kids will just spend their money on “junk food” from the machines. However, as the issue of children’s health climbs to a national level, the USDA has created nutritional guidelines for school-operated vending machines, and those that don’t meet requirements are not turned on until 30 minutes after the school day ends. A parent-based faction, Real Food for Kids, has applied for a grant to propose legislation that makes it impossible for school-operated vending machines to sell food to students that doesn’t meet nutritional guidelines. Additionally, Montgomery County has passed legislation to prohibit vending machines from turning on until 30 minutes after the school day ends; this would make parents feel better knowing that their children could only have access to the food if they stay after school.

There is no doubt that vending machines need to make their debut in the halls of the new Paint Branch. Teachers and students would be happier and more productive, and parents would feel assured knowing that the food their child gets from the machines is both satisfying and nutritious. It’s a classic win-win-win situation, but it can only happen if the faculty takes the first step and brings back the vending machines.