So Many Decisions, So Little Time

Aman Anand, Online Editor

Seniors, I’ve got good news and bad news. The good news is there is only one semester left until high school is over. The bad news is this means we have to make all of our college decisions very soon.

If you’ve applied to colleges, then you’ve come pretty far in the process. You’ve researched, narrowed it down to a few schools, and considered the key components, from the schools’ sizes, to the campuses, to the costs.

A conflict that many seniors face in the decision-making process is the cost of college. Nearly all private or out-of-state schools cost a fortune, and this causes a dilemma when seniors have to decide whether to attend their dream school or the more financially safe school. If you’re deciding between a costly school and an in-state school, don’t worry; you’re not alone. According to USA Today’s “Stock up on ramen: Average cost of college rises again,” students at private colleges pay an average of $42,419 per year including housing, and students at public out-of-state colleges pay around $32,762. For public in-state students, however, expenses only average around $18,943 annually, and if you choose to live at home, the cost can drop to a moderately affordable $8,893.

So, what should you do?

Well, for starters, you should probably talk to your family about it. If paying for college is your responsibility, then you can take matters into your own hands and make the decision for yourself, but be reasonable. If your parents are able and/or willing to pay for college, consider yourself lucky, and listen carefully to what they think. If your dream school will put your parents, or you, a quarter-million dollars in debt, you really must consider whether or not you are willing to pay the price.

Secondly, consider if it is worth it. Ask yourself, how much do you love the school? How much happier will you be at this school rather than at an in-state school? How will this particular school benefit me in the long run? The third question is indispensable as “the long run” equates to the future. If you’re choosing between Harvard and UMD, then sure, it might be worth spending some extra money. However, if the costly school doesn’t have the academic reputation or a very specific program you can’t find locally, you may want to reconsider.

Finally, you’ve got to go with your gut. At the end of the day, if the school “just feels right” to you – that’s okay. You can’t always count on life giving you concrete reasons. Ultimately, the decision is yours, so if you want to go with your gut, you better trust it. Don’t worry, though, because you’re not alone. No matter what happens, just ensure that you will be content wherever you decide to go, and remember that these are your first true steps into the real world.