Lil B, Our Future

Gabriel Payne, Staff Writer

Lil B’s word is bond. He is greatness, and we all should worship him, seeing as nobody else can lead us to a path of such righteousness as he can.

Lil B, the 25-year-old rapper originally from Berkeley, California, also known as Brandon McCartney, is one of the most influential and innovative rappers of our time. Lil B is not just a highly intelligent rapper, though; he is also a record producer, author, motivational speaker, and activist. Lil B always sends a positive message, which is why he is one of the greatest rappers alive. Lil B deserves respect and be glory from the masses.

The Daily Beast glorifies Lil B’s generosity. According to Jen Yamato’s May 15th article, “Lil B’s Life Lessons at UCLA: The Based God on the Media, Federal Government, Aliens, and More, “The Bay Area rapper Lil B made a special appearance at UCLA, lecturing over 700 graduate students on the Based Life. It was truly a sight to behold.” This just shows how he feels about his fans and his message.  He is one of the few rappers to voluntarily go to a college and promote his philosophy, which says a lot about his attitude toward life and his music.

He is one of the most kind-hearted and courageous individuals in the world, never afraid to speak his mind and go against the grain.

Yamato’s article details that Lil B spoke to the UCLA students about many topics including the importance of mental well-being, identification of credible news sources, art vs. money, corporation of the federal government, collective oil dependency, and his love of nature – which includes talking with turkeys. After the event, Lil B told The Daily Beast, “I really care, and they reached out too,” he said. “It’s important that I spread love and spread the truth. I know that love can help, and if we keep pushing love as much as we push capitalism and money, it will affect people in a positive way.” These words of such care and love from a rapper is something never before seen; it’s a phenomenon, and he should be cherished while he is still alive.

His thought process is much longer and varied compared to other rappers who would only converse on how they made it and their struggle and how you can make it if you believe in yourself. Lil B exceeds these standards and some topics that you’d deem a challenging concept, such as the counterintuitive nature of ownership laws. Yamato writes that Lil B stated, “For me, I always feel like everything is everybody’s. But we see with ownership is not the case. So we need to make sure we have beautiful people owning stuff, people that have good ethics and have that love.” He lays what he believes on the line and lets you either accept it or reject it. He has no problem with either option — Lil B loves you anyway.

Rappers have too much influence to tell only tales of guns, drugs, and sex. Instead of telling how he’s so rich and “it” as most rappers would say today, Lil B focuses on larger issues and topics. Yamato reports that Lil B said, “We always have to remember the pure fact that we’re good people, we’re beautiful people, and you’ve always got to remember that. You’re special. You made it. I love you. There are a lot of other people that love you.”

Lil B is one of the only rappers in our day and age to constantly give positive motivation which is why he stands out, and why he is the one and only BasedGod. Love Lil B; he loves you too.