Depression: The Silent Disease

My-Trinh Tran, J1 Writer

Depression. It is a serious medical condition in which a person usually feels severe despondency and dejection. It is a perpetual sadness that consumes a person until they can no longer feel content with either themselves or the world around them.

Teenage depression is a growing problem that many of us try to avoid or ignore because of the awkwardness it comes with. According to “I Need a Lighthouse,” a program that provides suicide and depression awareness, approximately 20 percent of teens will experience depression before they reach adulthood, and between ten and fifteen percent of teenagers have some symptom of depression at any one time. Not many people know how to spot depression amongst their peers. Although it sounds easy in theory, some signs may not be blatantly obvious as to those with a professional eye.

I spoke to fellow classmates, and a majority of Ms. Millman’s period three journalism class understood the idea of depression: that it can “hinder a person” and make them “detached from the world around them.” Some of them say that they have even battled with bouts of depressions themselves and that it is something that they had to take medication for.

Rebecca Long, or as most of Paint Branch knows her, Ms. Long, is a phenomenal counselor here. She loves working with kids in small groups and individually. Before working as a counselor, she was a school teacher. She says, “It is important to help the students reach their goals.”

I had the great opportunity to speak to her about this topic. When asked if she knew about the warning signs of depression, Ms. Long says there are all kinds of signs. “It depends on the individual, really.”  Some people may not be able to sleep, or some may get too much sleep. Others may not want to get out of bed, or have no motivation to do so. There could be a drastic change in the person’s grades, as well as some drug and alcohol abuse. Ms. Long also says that although she may not be trained in suicide counselling, she knows what she must legally do in order for them to get the help that they need.

Counselors can also get tidbits of information from fellow students. If a person is concerned for his or her friend, he or she should go to a counselor and speak to the counselor about his or her fears. This is the most effective method for a person to get help because if a friend is genuine about wanting to see you happy, then they would do what they can to help. There are many things counselors can do for a person, but they themselves are not trained to help them. What counselors do is bring the student down to talk to them – see if there is anything that they can do to help them. If they feel that they cannot, legally, they must call the parent and ask them to take their child home and to a “Crisis Center,” where they are asked questions about how they feel and see if they are mentally stable enough to go home.

Counselors are here to help. Whether it be to help students with college preparations or to help save an innocent life, they are there for students. They do so many things behind the scenes that nobody even thinks to look at them and thank them for it.