The Eye of a Camera

Kiara Jones, Staff Writer

For those who love everything behind a lens, there is a place to be, a place where , amazing and interesting things happen: The Photo Club.

On Wednesday September 22nd, Ms. Salem, club sponsor, held the first club meeting of the school year for students interested in photography. Held on the 3rd floor in room 3321, photo club members meet every Wednesday and sometimes after school for projects. At this initial meeting, there were only a  few students in the beginning but after a while more students came.

During this initial meeting of the club, students not only had a chance to join, but  also had the opportunity to meet the art teacher Mrs. Cooper, who is the National Art Honors society sponsor and whose club meets in an adjoining room. They do group art projects, they bring their art to school to build school community and strengthen students artistic skills and experience. These two clubs meet on the same day and at the same time. These two clubs are about a similar subject, art. Both teachers provided snacks, which students always love and, in this case, consisted of a variety of chips, lemon and chocolate cookies and watermelon. “My goal is to give students interested in photography an outlet to creativity and access to cameras,” said club sponsor, but  Ms. Salem who is not the AVID photographer, had the students take a blank piece of paper from her desk and write what kinds of projects the club should do or what they like to take pictures of for projects.

Ms. Salem went on to say, passionately, “As a group I want to use the art to promote school community through the arts.”

In club meetings and on their own time, club members  will be doing amazing things like the Inside out project, which will have students  taking portraits of students in all grades and any willing staff/faculty members. These pictures will be placed above the grand staircase on the walls around it. So, keep your eye out for  the creative and different things that both of these clubs are capable of and, if you are interested, stop by during lunch one week.