Seniors: Make Every Day Count!

Kiara Jones, Staff Writer

Are you a senior in high school who is employed and has started or is starting the process of college applications? If so,  you’re on the right track to a successful future. You’ve come a really long way – just look at how you have grown physically, mentally and emotionally.

I know how it feels to be in your position, and I know how stressful it can be with everything in your life on your shoulders. I am going through that process right now, and  I am here to say that, if you put the hard work in now, the easy parts will come later in your life.

You have to take one day at a time and maintain a positive attitude. College applications can be stressful because you have many responsibilities, but that’s the art of growing up, graduating and going to college. I can’t wait to receive acceptance letters back from colleges or universities;  I can’t imagine how I will feel, but I know that It will be a dream come true.

College is my way out, my way to starting a career and becoming who I want to become. I want go to Gallaudet University, and I want to graduate with two degrees – one in  sign language interpreting and one in photography. I can’t wait to start living my dreams in the fall of  2017 at GU.

Currently, I work with kids and sometime kids and adults. I work at a place where I want kids to use their imaginations and have fun! I want them to have so much fun they won’t be able to stop thinking about how much fun they had. Surprisingly, working and having a full school schedule is not that bad.  This is mainly because I don’t work often, so I have time to do my homework or have “me” time. I love my job because I love working with kids and I enjoy working some of my peers from school. Seeing them happy and excited or interested to learn makes me feel ecstatic.

If you are a senior,  you’re applying to colleges, so you want to make sure you maintain really good grades. Go in for lunch, ask questions, do your homework, study with your friends. All of this will pay off. Though you may not see how it pays off now,  you definitely will in the future. You can do anything you put your mind to, so believe in yourself and love who you’re becoming

This is your last year of high school, so make it count! Meet new people, join a club, go out for a sport. Have a fun year and try to participate in most of the events or activities going on at your school. Be the person you want everyone to remember you as.

Also, take as many pictures and videos as possible; you won’t regret it! Try new things, open up, especially if you’re still not sure what you want to pursue in life. Just do it! This mantra exists for a reason. What it means is give anything a try and see if you like it or like something similar to it. The goal is to get out there and live life to the fullest.

Stay humble, grateful, and positive because everything you do now will help you in your future. You may not see it now but you will and you will thank your past self for the decisions you made. Be the best person that you can be, focus on yourself, where and how you would like to start a new chapter in your life. Everyone has to start somewhere, whether you live in a mansion or an apartment, You can make it to the top if you put your mind to it.

Writing this article brings back so many memories, good and bad. It takes me back to reality, letting me know that I am almost an adult. After high school, most parents expect you to move out, or if you don’t move out, they expect help with bills, groceries, gas and more. I am required to live on campus as a undergraduate. I think it will be more fun anyway to be away from home and on campus for many different reasons. Don’t spend your time on someone or something that is irrelevant to you. Enjoy the rest of your senior year, Make it count!