Life Without Photography Would not be a Pretty Picture

photo courtesy of Newseum Pulitzer Prize exhibit

Kiara Jones, Staff Writer

Photography is an art form in society that uses photographs to show how the artist is feeling. Their photos express their feelings and their art through a variety of elements including clothing and other props to make their work more meaningful and powerful.

While photography is a beautiful way to express one’s art or hobby, different types of jobs as a photographer exist and depending, on which type you choose, your pay rate varies. Photography jobs go from a simple, freelance photographer all the way to a medical photographer. All photographers can make good money, but it depends on how much you love the subject you’re choosing to shoot to make more money. One photojournalist and combat photographer who made a living off his work, who photographed one of the most retrieving events in Vietnam during the war, is Eddie Adams, winner of the 1969 Pulitzer Prize. Adams told the readers ”If it makes you laugh, If it makes you cry, If it rips out your heart, that’s a good picture.”

Adams’  photo from February 1, 1968 is an iconic image in U.S. history. In the image, a Vietnamese police officer is shooting a Viet Cong prisoner in the head. The photo, in black and white,  is a shocking photo.

Someone who knows photography well is Paint Branch photography teacher Ms. Salem. Ms. Salem states, “Photography is important to society,” laughing and adding that she is not just  saying that because she is a photo teacher. “Pictures are universal — we can all look at a photograph, no matter where it was taken in the world and take something away from it — whether it be a feeling or a story,” she adds.

“Think back to the iconic image of the Syrian boy in the ambulance that went viral recently. That photograph became a window into the tragic events occurring in Syria because people around the world saw that child and could empathize,” recalls Ms. Salem.  “Photographs serve as a language that we can all understand and, for that they are extremely valuable in spreading news, starting movements, and/or uniting people  — plus so much more!.”

As to her photography, Ms. Salem says, “What interests me the most about photography is really what I mentioned [before] ; it has the potential to bring people from all different backgrounds together. In terms of my own work, I really enjoy taking pictures of people. Specifically, people in their own ‘element’. I find the uniqueness of individuals, their lifestyles, and their habitats to be incredibly interesting and challenge myself by capturing them in a way that celebrates their individuality.

As for the question of whether or not she ever dreamt of being a photographer as a career, Ms. Salem admits, “When I was in middle school and high school, it was my dream to become a photographer for National Geographic. I have always been fascinated by their featured photographs and the stories that they cover throughout the world. Plus, you get paid to travel AND take pictures. Somewhere along the way, I jumped on a different career.”

Ultimately, Ms. Salem sees photography as an essential part of life, an essential part of who we are as people. She says, “Consider what the world would be like if we didn’t have pictures. Album covers, news articles, magazines, Instagram,Snapchat. We live in a visual world, and photography is one of many ways we educate ourselves in global and social issues. So, do we depend on photography? Yes, I think our world would be a much smaller place without photos.”