How to Fight Student Apathy (if you can)

Joselyn Lopez Vasquez, Staff Writer

Apathy. This one word strikes fear in students and their families because it means that they have a lack of passion or excitement. When it comes to school, apathy can be real trouble.

For many students, apathy makes it really hard to stay on task for the whole school year. Sometimes students stay on task for 3 days, a week, or even a month, but it’s really difficult to stay on task for the whole school year when apathy sets in for you.  The good news is that apathy is not usually always present. Students start the school year with enthusiasm, excitement, and even with emotions because they see their friends again and are hopeful. No apathy.  However, as the school year keeps on going, students start having a lack of interest that means apathy is right around the corner.

Students can often fight off apathy until the middle of the school year and stay strong  with their homework, tests, and quizzes, but sometimes it hits fast and all of a  sudden some students start losing interest in their work.

Apathy can come from your friends as you can learn to be apathetic if they are as well. However,  just because they don’t go to all of their classes does not mean that you have to do the same. Just because they do not care and may get bad grades doesn’t mean that you should not care. Try your best every time, and don’t let apathy decide your future.