Why I’ll Miss DAR Constitution Hall in 2017

Abisola Animasahun, Staff Writer

A few weeks ago, seniors received some rather harsh news: Graduation had been moved to June 5th. Seniors learned this via a tweet from Dr. Yarbrough and their families via email.

Upon hearing this, many seniors were in dismay for a wide array of reasons including beach week reservations, the potential for an extra week in school, and weather conditions.

My response was pretty simple – as long as we would graduate from DAR Constitution Hall, I am okay with the later date – though I do hope it means that we won’t  have to be in school longer.

This scenario has made me realize that I am very opposed to change, whether it be asking for chicken fingers at every restaurant I go to or not liking the semester-schedule change because I may possibly get new teachers. To this new possibility of having  graduation in our football stadium, I am totally against it.

This isn’t the West Coast in a place like California where they graduate on football fields.

The least the school could do is find another option and not force us to have to graduate on a field. Many other places could be used to host our graduation: Comcast Center, Verizon Center or some similar place that offers a grand stage. I just want a decent graduation; one where I can call all of my friends and family to have them be part of my big day. I don’t want this  on a football field and in the hot weather so all my makeup can melt off and my parents can complain about the heat.

Just look at it this way; I don’t think any senior pictures their graduation to be outside in the heat, having to walk on turf, wiping their faces every five minutes just to get a diploma that will actually be sent home to us in the mail. The best way to have a graduation ceremony is to have it the traditional way with the nice scenery in a cool, air-conditioned building.