School Board Approves Modified School Calendar

Henry Ziperman, News Editor

Last year Governor Larry Hogan signed an Executive Order requiring Maryland schools to start their school year after Labor Day and end their school year no later than June 15th. The Governor’s action has forced school districts around the state to examine closely their community’s needs as they work to squeeze the required instructional and professional days into a condensed calendar. Locally, MCPS recently completed its adjustments to the 2017-2018 school year calendar, and the results have brought forth some issues, especially with teachers.

According to the MCPS proposal, the school year will begin on September 5 and end on June 12, 2018. This change causes the total number of school days to be reduced from 184 days to 182 days. The schedule allows for make-up days to extend the school year up to June 15, and also notes a potential reduction in spring break by two days. Teachers are scheduled for one full professional day and five half-days, as well as one unscheduled full day. Compared to last year, that means two fewer full professional days and three more half-days for teachers.

In a letter to MCPS employees, Dr. Andrew M. Zuckerman, the Chief Operating Officer of MCPS, said that “while we regret the loss of two student instructional days in next year’s calendar, it does present an opportunity to utilize these regular work days for professional development and other important activities.” According to the Washington Post, MCPS school board member Patricia O’Neill called the calendar “not ideal,” stating that “Hogan’s mandate — to open schools after Labor Day and end classes by June 15 — left the system with few options.”