Prom 2017: Riding the Magic Carpet on an Arabian Night

Michael Katski, Editor-in-Chief

As the end of the year approaches, so do the end-of-the-year festivities. Every year in the spring, the biggest of all events – besides graduation, of course – takes place for juniors and seniors: Prom.
However, as many of you may now know, prom isn’t just all fun and games. It involves much preparation for this special night; some that require months of planning. From finding that suit or dress that fits you just right to planning where to eat to figuring out just how you’ll get to prom, it can all be quite stressful.

In some cases, the girls in a group attending prom gather as early as noon to start preparing for photos that would take place at 5:45 p.m. Yes, that is almost 6 hours of prepping! And yes, for those who require this amount of time, it was all necessary.

All the preparation was worth it, though, because prom was truly a night those who attended will never forget. This year’s theme was “Arabian Nights,” and stepping into the Samuel Riggs Alumni Center at The University of Maryland truly felt like being on a magic carpet ride that took you to a whole new world. Prom was a joyous occasion this year as it was an event filled with laughter and, thanks to a solid DJ, tons of dancing. At the end of the night, some students had to be forced off the dance floor because they just didn’t want it to end!

The night didn’t end with prom though, as many students came back to Paint Branch for the fun-filled, after-prom event. Many recovered from the already-long night thanks to the free food and drinks, and many people continued their fun with moon bounces, laser tag, and, of course, dancing thanks to another DJ. In the end, this year’s prom was a night many upperclassmen will never forget.