The Student Newspaper of Paint Branch High School

MAINSTREAM

MAINSTREAM

MAINSTREAM

Dropout: Changing the Streaming Game

Logo of Dropout.tv
Logo of Dropout.tv

“Streaming is the new cable!” That catchy sentiment was presented to the world upon the launch of streaming services such as Netflix and Hulu. DVRs and paying for thousands of channels just to use a few were said to be a thing of the past now that one could stream the thousands of on-demand movies and binge-able TV shows in streaming service catalogs.
But with this progress came a new problem: competition. After years of licensing their properties to third-party streamers such as those mentioned above, big entertainment companies decided they wanted both the revenue from streaming the movie and hosting it. Thus, new services, like pests, started popping up. Services like Disney+ and Max (HBO) emerged as front-runners, but many smaller services died off quickly, sometimes taking their content out of circulation with them. In the years that have followed, this process repeated itself as this cut-throat streaming industry spawned new services and saw others fall by the wayside leaving one to consider the question of how to stay afloat while also staying ethical.
The answer can be found in Dropout, also known as Dropout.tv. Launched in 2018 by the comedy company formerly known as CollegeHumor, which now shares the Dropout moniker, the service was originally intended to focus on scripted content, such as the Star Wars parody Troopers, a crime comedy called Kingpin Katie, and the mech-anime spoof Ultramechatron Team Go!. However, in 2020, Dropout’s former parent corporation, IAC collapsed. Subsequently, the company was sold to now-CEO Sam Reich, and all production was halted on scripted content to focus on the more popular, less expensive unscripted shows.
Dropout already had a wealth of extremely popular unscripted content such as its Dungeons & Dragons Actual Play show, Dimension 20, a game of pedantic corrections to pop culture questions, Um Actually, and an always-changing game show called Game Changer. All of these, especially Dimension 20, grew a large and appreciative fan base fairly quickly. The success of these shows has led to two improv-based spin-offs from Game Changer: Play It By Ear, a musical improv show, and Make Some Noise, a show where three contestants have to respond to improv prompts. These barely scratch the surface of the non-scripted offerings within the Dropout app.
In addition to its imperative to make good content, Dropout seems to hold itself to high ethical standards not often seen in the production industry. On the business side of things, Dropout shares its profit with its employees and other workers, has vowed to keep prices low amid price hikes for other services, and encourages password sharing among anyone, a stark contrast to the tight, often asinine password sharing rules employed by other streamers.
On the talent side of things, Dropout employs a brilliant and diverse cast and crew, contrasting the often un-diverse output from other comedy entities and streaming services. Dropout also wholeheartedly supported the writers and actors strike of 2023, even shutting down production in solidarity despite not having to. Potential talents are also paid to audition. Many of the service’s subscribers have cited the company’s efforts to create good content ethically as why they subscribed and continue their subscriptions.
In the fraught climate of creating for streamers, among budget cuts, cancellations, and shelving finished products, Dropout is a breath of fresh air for both creatives and consumers.