What’s MSA?

Nowshin Ahmed, Staff Writer

Thursday during LAP, a handful of students gathered in room 3226 to discuss MSA. This was the third meeting, and newly elected officers were discussing future events that will be held for the MSA club members.

What is MSA you ask? MSA stands for Muslim Student Association. The club consists of non-Muslim students and Muslim students that go to Paint Branch. Each school in Montgomery County has an MSA club. Although MSA is hardly recognized as a major club in PB, it does hold values for many students that take part in this club.

At the third meeting that took place on September 16, newly elected president Jahanara Mehreen discussed fund-raisers that will be held in the near future to assist in activities such as MIST. MIST stands for Muslim Interscholastic Tournament. MIST occurs two times a year; there are MIST Nationals and MIST Regionals. After the club president said a few words, the vice president of the club, Maliha Shah, discussed having Friday prayers.

Club member Sokhna Niang, commonly known as Tisha , said a few words concerning her feelings  about the upcoming events that were going to take place. “I’m actually pretty excited about MSA,” said Niang. “I never really participated in MSA before nor have I participated in any club.”  Another club member, Rediet Gebre, shared her thoughts about MIST. “Even though I’m not a Muslim, I don’t feel any differently from a Muslim in this club,” She said. “I can’t wait for MIST!”