Just Sayin’

You Are What You Wear

Kahleb Aberra, Specials Editor

You know how you hear moans and grumbles every time Dr. Rogers or another administrator catches someone for sagging pants or a little too cropped crop top? Well, here’s an idea. They are justified in doing so.
Students shouldn’t be running around school, a place of education, with clothes fit for the club or the streets. I fail to see the absolute necessity for a person to be wearing certain clothes or styles in a certain way in school (or, as a matter of fact, anywhere).
Would it kill these people to just not wear this type of clothing? Any logical person can see the reason why administration does not allow you to wear this apparel. School should be a professional environment that reflects a positive vibe.
If we are looking at facts, sagging your pants or wearing clothes that aren’t really clothes is often associated with negative behavior like crime and sexual intentions. Maybe you are a 4.0 student and you sag your pants or wear super-tight shirts, but what you need to understand is that people don’t see that 4.0; they see a young male or female who is dressed inappropriately in public. They think, “Man, they must have some pretty relaxed parents” or maybe even offer or think some type of vulgar word or thought – although I hope that insulting a kid is not people’s first reaction.
Maybe not everyone thinks that way, but it is undeniable that misconceptions can occur when you are dressed a certain way – this goes for any place, not just school. Let me give you an example. In 2010, a 16-year-old kid who lived in Tennessee got shot in the butt by an adult for sagging. Yes! You read right! Shot in the buttocks for sagging his pants. Needless to say, the man was arrested and charged, but the lesson here is that people judge and people commit foolish actions.
The point is a that kid who was your age was shot just for sagging his pants. You don’t know how people will react to your appearance, and you cannot ever predict their behavior.
People suck their teeth at these “stupid” rules at school, but let me tell you, having to change your clothes or pull your pants up is on the lower end of the scale of punishment. Some Mississippi students have been arrested in school for sagging their pants.
If you ask me, the whole discussion is crazy – the styles, the actions, the punishments. I have to say, changing clothes is definitely preferred over some other response. Just Sayin’.