PB Marching Band Hosts First Competition

Seanne Coates, Opinions Editor

Band_Competition_from_Afor_Foncham (2)

Band_Competition_from_Afor_Foncham (3)On October 11, 2014, Paint Branch hosted its first marching band competition, which took place on PB’s football field. A large number of supporters came out to support the Paint Branch Marching Band as well as the nine other bands that performed. The day was cold but nothing could keep these ten high-school bands down as they performed high-quality music and visuals for the crowd.

In order for this day to be a success, the band raised over $6,000. “It was a lot of work and stress trying to get everything lined up and brought together, especially since it was the first time we hosted,” said PB Band Director Mr. Sean Kirchoff. “I think the event ran very well and very smoothly. I was very happy with how everything went on Saturday.”

The money was well spent as the day went off without a hitch. The Jazz Singers started off the competition, bringing everyone together with a stirring rendition of the national anthem. Watkins Mill High School’s Marching Band took the field first, followed by Long Reach, Quince Orchard and Perry Hall High Schools. After these 4 bands performed. a 30-minute intermission took place.

During the intermission, a Quince Orchard parent stated, “The program is good, and all the bands were good. It’s a lot better than last year’s.”

After the 30-minute break, the other six bands performed with Thomas J. Wootton High School going first, followed by James Hubert Blake, Broadneck, La Plata, and Choptican.
The final band to take the field was the host school, Paint Branch, which was greeted with thunderous applause from the PB students and parents in attendance.

The home band did not disappoint as they put on a glamorous performance that centered on the theme “What Happens in Vegas.” Starting off their performance in the shape of the main strip of Las Vegas, they performed “Viva Las Vegas,” a tune that truly captured the bright lights and essence of Vegas. With props, including dice, the band was able to represent even the well-known night life of Las Vegas.

Though the host band is not judged in competitions, the other bands were scored for their performances.

The award ceremony was the closing of the first Paint Branch-held band competition. While this may have been the first time PB has hosted such an event, it will not be the last.