All Grades Should Be Allowed To Have Open Lunch

Jessica Segura, Staff Writer

The bell rings announcing that lunch has begun, so you now have 45 minutes to get your lunch, but you waste 10 minutes in the long lunch lines. In those 10 minutes, you could’ve already arrived at the nearest food place and had already eaten and have more time to study and take care of whatever you need to do.

There’s plenty of time to walk from the school to the store and back. So there should be no reason why not to be back at school on time. Being able to leave the school is a big responsibility that seniors and juniors can take, so why can’t the freshmen and sophomores take it too?

Some people might not eat lunch at school because they might not like it and think it’s gross and unhealthy, or might be allergic or vegetarian, so to help they can just go out and buy what they do eat.

My class is on the third floor, so it takes me a while to get down to the cafeteria and the lines are always long and it takes a while before I can get my food. Some kids who are 9 or 10th graders might not eat lunch because they don’t like the food here at the school. A lot of students might not even like the chips sold at the school store.

Even though you’re supposed to be a senior or junior to be able to leave the school for lunch, the kids in the lower grades are going to leave the school anyway, so you should not really put a rule in place that kids won’t pay attention to.  Kids want more options than what the school offers, so something should be done to allow for this.  The GPA for the juniors and seniors to leave campus at LAP is 2.0 with signed parent permission.  For lower grade students, there should be a similar policy, but the GPA for these students should be 2.3 or higher.

Not all students are going to go out for open lunch; there will be kids who are still going to eat the school lunch, but that’s okay because maybe they like the food or they bring lunch from home. Some people want McDonald’s for lunch and they might ask an upperclassmen to buy them food by giving them their money, and some upperclassmen might be nice and do it, but some might not. Having the option of leaving campus – even to go to 7-Eleven – would give younger students more options and allow them to feel more independent.