Open the Campus at Lunch for Everyone

Sydney Muhindi, Staff Writer

Have you ever been told to “grow up? ” Have you ever noticed how, once you got to

high school, you were expected to act more like an adult?

This need to mature is important in high school but it’s funny, though, that when it

comes to lunch, our opinions don’t really matter anymore.

During lunch, you’re supposed to be able to pick what you want to eat, whether it is

lunch from home, school, or from a fast-food restaurant. As high-schoolers, we should have

all of these options. Administrators may not want freshmen and sophomores to go

off campus because they think that we show too much immaturity to handle it but, they’re

not giving us a chance to prove ourselves.

The current school policy is that juniors and seniors can leave campus if they

have a 2.0 Grade Point Average. This excludes freshmen and sophomores who work to get

good grades just as much as the upperclassmen do. There is this solution to a problem

though.

If the administrators feel that 9th and 10th graders are too young to be alone, we can

walk in a group with some upperclassmen. Give us a time limit to use when we leave

campus.

Just last year, the school started to let juniors leave campus. Since 1969, only

seniors were allowed to go out for lunch. The administration had taken 44 years to let the

11th graders leave campus with the seniors. If it has taken that long, imagine how long it’ll

Take to let 9th and 10th graders leave campus. If the administrators let us leave, then that

changes the school rules and the Montgomery County policy. When they let the

lowerclassmen leave, then the other high school lowerclassmen in Montgomery

County would want to do the same. No matter what we choose, other schools would want

to do the same, and the policy will change. The decision to let the lowerclassmen leave

campus for lunch will be decided sooner or later.