GPA to Leave Campus Should Not be so Strict

Teffera Phillpotts, Staff Writer

Have you ever wondered why everything related to eligibility is based on your last quarter grades and not on your overall average? Why the school only looks at one part of the year and not the whole year is strange. When this happens and your grades that quarter fall below the mandatory GPA, you can’t try out for sports, join school activates, or even leave campus for lunch, all because of one quarter.

The school states that juniors and seniors must have a 2.0 average or higher to leave campus but at lap if all three quarters you have a 2.0 or better, but your 2.0 in fourth quarter turns into a 1.8 you are ineligible. Of course everything you do affects the outcome of what might happen next but, if you only slip up one quarter, it should not be such a big deal. Having bad grades is already something to feel bad about, but being punished every day is even worse.

We should have a rule stating that, if a student tries and his/her overall grade average above 2.0, s/he should be allowed to do the things s/he would like to do and work harder. If that still doesn’t work and the school doesn’t see any improvement from that student, then they can take away all their rights to do things but just doing it without giving the students a chance is just wrong.

Some students who aren’t bad kids; they just get caught slipping one quarter. The school thinks that by taking away things from students that it is going to push then to do better, but really it’s just going to make students want to leave campus without permission and angry that they can’t play.

Don’t punish the students who slip up one quarter give them a chance to do better and reward them for what they’re done in the past.