Love Is All Around

Handling Abusive Relationships

Seanne Coates, Opinions Editor

Love for another person is something that should bring out the happiness in others. But what happens when that love turns poisonous? What happens when that love turns abusive?

In a nationwide survey conducted in 2011 by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), 9.4 percent of high school students reported being hit, slapped, or physically hurt on purpose by their boyfriend or girlfriend in the 12 months prior to the survey.

Domestic abuse is a major problem that is not often brought to light because those who suffer the abuse are afraid to bring up the subject for several reasons. An abused person may feel ashamed, embarrassed, depressed or confused. They might even be brainwashed into thinking that no one cares about them and they might feel alone. These feelings make it harder for them to reach out for help that they so badly need, but often don’t know where to find it. However, there is always someone ready or able to help; it is just a matter of knowing where to look.

Domestic abuse can take the form of physical or emotional abuse, and neither is less serious than the other. Hitting, pushing, or slapping your partner is considered physical abuse. Forcing a partner into sex, even if you normally have consensual sex, is physical abuse and is a crime.

Emotional abuse can cause just as much damage as
physical abuse. Belittling someone and making them feel as if they are of no value is wrong. Abusers also like to isolate the abused from family and friends and keep them to themselves.

Whether you are male or female, you have a right to feel safe with those you love. No one should be made to feel as if they are of little worth. No one has the right to abuse anyone else. When you are in a relationship, you shouldn’t feel scared and always on edge or awaiting the moment your partner blows up on you.

If you know someone, or suspect that someone, is in an abusive relationship, please help them. Ask them if something is wrong and express concern; listen and support them. For girls who need help, call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233). For guys who need help, call The Domestic Abuse Helpline for Men & Women at 1-888-7Helpline (743-5754).