Handling Teen Stress

Tsion Zewolde, Staff Writer

Adolescents have fairly simple days. They wake up, get ready for school, hang out with friends and complete chores along with other daily activities. Seems pretty simple, right?
Well, that is what parents think, but for teens it is a whole other story. Teens often feel that there are too many pressures and demands on them. Losing sleep worrying about tests and schoolwork, eating on the run because their schedule is just too busy, and stressing over friendships and other relationships are all aspects that teens must face.
The biggest concern for teens, though, is how they handle these pressures.

Parents often don’t see how stressful a teen’s life is and how stress can take a toll on young people. According to Great Schools.Org, a website that states the core values of teaching, most experts agree that there are three particular aspects of young peoples’ lives that create the most stress: relationships, family, and school.

A 2013 survey by the (American Psychological Association) APA found that stress is extremely common among teenagers. Teenagers who responded to the survey conducted by the APA, report they’re experiencing what they think are unhealthy levels of stress, especially during the school year. In fact, school is the top source of stress for teens. Getting into a good college or deciding what to do after high school is the second-biggest source of tension. The mind and body are closely connected, and stress can affect the body from head to toe. APA’s survey found teens experience both emotional and physical symptoms of stress. Common symptoms include feeling nervous or anxious, feeling tired, procrastinating or neglecting responsibilities, and feeling overwhelmed, having negative thoughts and experiencing changes in sleeping habits. Problems with concentrating and changes in eating habits, including eating too much or too little, are also linked to stress.
According to Margaret Shapiro of The Washington Post, among 13-17- year -olds, school is by far the most commonly mentioned source of pressure and stress. Shapiro reports that “many American teens report experiencing stress at unhealthy levels, appear uncertain in their stress management techniques and experience symptoms of stress in numbers that mirror adult’s experiences,” according to the“Stress in America” survey. “Meanwhile, teens report that stress is having an impact on their performance at home, work and school.” Their self-reported stress levels were higher than those reported by adults. There’s no way around it,even in our best relationships, working with and relating with someone can be hard work at times. While each of these relationships can help you to learn and grow, each also has its own power dynamics and demands.

According to the LA Times, in all, fully 85 percent of young people, from ages 13-17, said they felt stress at least sometimes. Stress can interrupt family functioning and may negatively influence the general well-being of everyone involved. There are many possible sources of stress, and a young person may find him or herself experiencing multiple types of stress at the same time. Though some stress is unavoidable in the family, too much can contribute to increased dysfunction.

According to a USA Today poll (what else can you tell about the poll???), 46% of teens manage their stress by playing video games, 43% use the Internet to manage their stress, 37% exercise or walk, 36% by watching TV or movies, 28% by playing sports. Senior Danielle Clayton at PBHS states, “stress comes in all ways, but mostly school and sometimes there is no way to manage it, I personally handle it by not thinking about it”.

Another key stressor for teens is school, especially college applications and high-stakes entrance exams. Tens of thousands of teenagers are pushing hard to do well. Many are overworked, overscheduled and overstressed, and it’s taking a toll on the mental health and development of a number of teens. Junior Chelsea Outtara states, “It hasn’t hit me yet that, I’m going to college soon, but I think the stress will come in with senioritis as well” . “The college admissions process is an initiation rite into adulthood,” says Dr. Kenneth Ginsburg, Adolescent Medicine Specialist at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. “Seniors aren’t the only ones who have to deal with college admissions stress. No matter what grade they’re in, students in high school worry about getting into their dream schools, college planning, and finishing their applications before deadline.

Stress is affects everyone at one time or another, and it can feel overwhelming. With the right tools, though, you can learn to manage stress before it takes a toll on your health. Managing daily stress can also lead to a more overall positive outlook on your life and well-being.