We Got Spirit

Maroon Platoon and How Overall School Spirit Continues to Climb

We Got Spirit

Emem Essien, Staff Writer

“AWWWW PB WHAT!” If you attended a PB football game this season, you heard this new chant from the Maroon Platoon and other PB fans, as the marching band proudly played to pump up the crowd.

This chant and the excitement the Maroon Platoon and the pep band bring to the games is something fairly new to PB, and it is a new element that works.

It is easy to point out groups of people who take pride in attending Paint Branch as those who do not tend to lag around the school and express dread at the mere sight of the building. Students who consistently attend games, use an extensive amount of face and body paint, flash the PB colors, or memorize every cheer by heart are the people who can tell you what it means to have genuine school spirit.

However, while face paint and loud cheers are the peak of strong spirit, pride can also be shown by just being involved in and aware of what is happening at your school. “It’s the absolute pride about representing your peers in school,” notes PB Athletic Director Ms. Heather Podosek. “Take pride in your school and take pride in what we do.”

The atmosphere that students set all depends on their attitude and the views they carry towards the school environment. As to whether school spirit has increased over the years, Coach Podesek replies, “I think this year we turned the corner with the Maroon Platoon developed, poms, cheer, and fans who have helped over the year.”

Students such as senior Josh Doane-Malotte know what it means to have school spirit from first-hand experience. Josh is a proud member of the Maroon Platoon, who enjoys the role they play and especially game days. “It’s fun to go to games!” Josh exclaims. “It makes me look forward to Fridays.”

The Maroon Platoon, a group of almost 70 young spirit-filled teens, love going out and supporting football night games. Whether it be 80 degrees out or 20 degrees, is an honor for Josh. “I don’t care about the cold,” Josh adds. “I’m just a good fan. And my friends are on the field, so it makes you forget about the weather.”

With football season over and basketball season ready to begin, look for the Maroon Platoon to take it to the next level with more games to work with and a louder environment.
” I already know the Friday night games are going to be live, so there’s no need to worry,” says fellow Maroon Platoon member Kevin Tregoning. “I don’t know anything about the props this year, but I can definitely say basketball season will be memorable.”

Pep rallies are a good way to exhibit school spirit, as they convey the attitude of the student body and show that there is more to the school than just standardized tests and seemingly endless homework. Comparing school spirit today against what it was like when she attended PB, math resource teacher and former poms coach Mrs. Feher states, “It [school spirit] died as we lost the [old] school building, but now that everything is back in one place, it’s coming back.” Pressed on what she would like to see happen to match what it was like in her day, Mrs. Feher adds, “I still think we need more Panther Pride, which I really want to see through everyone, not only the athletes.”

Mrs. Feher’s point is a good one, as being a part of a sport helps develop pride in your team and your school all at once. Students do not have to play a sport to have genuine Panther Pride, though becoming more involved with school events, clubs or activities serves as a good start.

“I like the diversity and different types of people in the building. Clubs like Pet Advocates, Hispanic Awareness, and even clubs like the Natural Hair Club, all bring a sense to how varied the school is and how we all have different interests,” student Adrianny Ioa shares. “I think it’s pretty hard to not have Panther Pride with a school like this one. Just be involved!”

Students who attend Paint Branch continue to bring spirit to a huge level. The enthusiasm, positivity, and respect are what have genuine Panther Pride looks like.