Prepare To Not Struggle

Hamza Mir, Staff Writer

Do you want to earn college credit in high school? For most students, the answer to this question is, obviously, “yes.” However, one of the primary impediments to earning these credits is handling the stress of AP classes without messing up.

AP is short for advanced placement, which are classes that allow students to challenge themselves with college level material and possibly earn college credit. Created by the College Board, AP classes offer college-level curricula and examinations to high school students. Colleges and Universities often grant placement and course credit to students who obtain high scores on the exams.

AP students are engulfed in more work than students who are in on-level or honors classes in order to better prepare themselves for what they will face when they finally reach college. Regardless of a student’s quarter grades, the student can only receive college credit if they score well on the exam that takes place in May.

The biggest hurdle for many of these students – especially those who take more than one AP class – is preparing for the exam.

Fortunately, there are many expert sources to help students practice and learn the material that they cover in their AP classes, as well as what they will see on the exam. One such source is the book 5 steps to a 5, which covers almost all available AP classes in high school and organizes all the main concepts of the year, so course content is more easily accessible. The book makes it easy by going over everything the teacher has gone over during the year.

Another excellent source is the website collegeboard.com. This website has actual tests and test questions that have been used in the past. This type of review can be very beneficial. Reviewing tests taken by people who previously took the test helps to see the responses graders look for in the exams.

Another method of preparation involves asking AP teachers for ideas on how study and review material. Whether the teacher you speak to is your teacher or not, speaking to him or her will help to give you information on anything you’re stuck on or answer questions on the material that will most likely be seen on the exam in May.

When you take AP classes, the content taught in the classrooms prepares you well for the AP exam, but you’ll need to do a significant amount of work on your own, as well. Several classes, including AP World History, requires a tremendous amount of reading. This is something AP student Edmund Hammond understands. Hammond says, “Always stay up to date with your reading, [it’s] important. Spending time wisely on chapters that are assigned will help from you cramming things last minute.”

Siben Temesgen, who scored an outstanding four on his AP NSL, reveals his secret. “Form a group of friends, and start quizzing each other every week on what the teacher went over that week,” says the junior who has now moved on and is taking AP World History.