Senior Detachment? Not Quite Yet, Thanks

Herawe Kebede, Staff Writer

I envision my life after graduation as a sort of my reincarnation into this world. I am not exaggerating one bit. I am not quite sure if I feel this way because of the influence television and film had on me in my earlier years or if it is due to my extreme joy of finally leaving my parents’ house. Either way, this mind-set has honestly made me cherish each moment I am having in high school– even in second semester of my senior year.

It’s safe to say that the average high school senior would describe his/her sole motive to come to school and do their work is graduation. This senior comes to school dressed in yet another pair of sweats, fuzzy slippers, and a PB sweatshirt at least every other day. If we were in some cartoon and their friends were magically zapped out of school, the mood of these students would be, to put it lightly, less than appreciated by their teachers and parents, as friends may be the only reason they can handle school.

For me it`s different; I actually love getting dressed for school. I am not implying that I am taking the PB halls by storm, strutting down in all designer labels. I simply see each day as another step to May 28th. I think each day should be celebrated with an outfit that speaks to my personality and, of course, a smile to go along with it. The fact that my friends are in school is great and all, but I can truthfully say that, if they were erased from my brain, I could live. I`ll make new ones in college, after all!

I accept the cliché that a chapter of my adolescent life is about to close and a new one is on the horizon. So, I am happy and hopeful. There is no point of seeing each passing day as a drain because it’s quite honestly another step passed on the yellow brick road to my future.