Exams Before Break

Cayla Reed, Staff Writer

If you’re like most students, you don’t like final exams.  If this is true for you, how would you feel about having finals before winter break?

Currently, in Montgomery County exams take place 1 to 2 weeks after break. Exams after winter break stress kids out because, in that one week, students cram to remember everything taught before break.

A break should be just that, a break.  It should be a stress-free week. Students have a problem with having exams and stressing after a break because teens don’t know whether to look forward to break or pray for it to be far away.  The reason is that they have many things to complete to prepare for finals, and if they come after break, students are often torn about whether or not to just relax or prepare for exams.

If they could take exams were taken the week before or even two weeks before break, students would be much happier because, instead of having to remember everything learned before break and having to retain it, they could show all they know before the break.  Also, students like to start fresh, and having the second semester start after break would feel this way.

Of course, having exams after break leaves extra time to complete work and study for material for exams, but it’s only if the student uses the break wisely, which doesn’t always happen. Ultimately, having exams before break means having fewer days to go through material for one quarter but, for the next quarter, it means having a longer amount of time. Still. taking exams before break, when the information is fresh, is preferable to having exams after break when some material is not fresh in students minds.