Tech-NO-logy

Be Aware of How Technology Can Affect Your Health

Jacob Bhatti, Staff Writer

There is no doubt that technology plays a huge role in everyone’s life at this point in time. No matter what their age is, everyone has at least some sort of technological contraption that they rely on heavily and look at constantly. While technology has made life much easier in many ways, it also harms people in many ways, especially its effect on health.

Students, in particular, spend a significant amount of time on technological devices, with the most common device being the smart phone. Teens often spend hours at a time just looking down at these tiny screens, sitting in awkward positions, texting their “baes”, and checking social media sites. In doing this, students not only ruin their eyesight but also strain their neck. Also, long periods of texting could result in future handicaps such as arthritis. One of the most immediate effects of over texting, however, is its role in interfering with the sleep cycle.

The Mayo Clinic, an esteemed medical facility, suggests that parents should, “work with their teen to establish reasonable hours for texting — such as no texting after 10 p.m. on school nights. To enforce the rule, they should keep their teen’s phone out of his or her room at night.” If one texts after this time, one will suffer the next day and feel even more sick.

The popularity of technological devices has caused many problems for teens, but the most notable and easiest to prove are its various effects on health, both short-term (neck pain and blurred eyesight) and long-term (arthritis). If society does not control the influx of technology in our society, our generation and generations ahead will continue to deteriorate mentally, emotionally, and physically.