Image is Everything

Why the Actions of a Few Don’t Speak for the Entire School

Seanne Coates and Godsee Joy

Friday the thirteenth is considered an unlucky day in western superstition. On Friday, February 13, 2015, events at Paint Branch High School seemed to fulfill this belief.

At promptly 11:20 a.m., security intervened in an “attempted fight.” While clearing a path to leave the cafeteria, a few students engaged in some physical behavior. The fire alarm went off, and students rushed outside in confusion and, fighting off the bitter cold and trying to make sense of the situation, students and staff waited for the ordeal to settle down.

When such events occur, it is easy to judge everyone for the mistakes of a few. The halo effect, which is the tendency for an impression created in one area to influence opinion in another, explains this propensity. Many people are sure to have formulated their own mostly negative opinions about Paint Branch students’ morals after the tumultuous events that occurred on the 13th ended up on the local news. We know, however, that the majority of the student body, 99.5 percent to be exact, did the right thing and cooperated with the adults who were in charge. To outsiders, it is easy to make judgments and assumptions that shine a negative light on the school. However, as in any situation, the actions of an isolated few do not define the majority’s character.

People do not want to be judged – period. Whether it’s being lumped together as a whole or looked at as an individual, no one wants judgment passed on them, especially judgment that is based on one incident. Sometimes hypocrisy can get the best of a person, and people can do unto others what they do not want done to themselves. This applies to areas such as religion, ethnicity, nationality, and even passing judgment on a school’s students, staff, or community.

Our school’s image is important. A positive image brings us new students, new materials, stronger funding; it is the reason why staff and adults sponsor fun activities and important events. A negative image of Paint Branch could tarnish and destroy these essentials. This would deprive students of the fun times that are known throughout Paint Branch.

Treat others the way you as a person would want to be treated. Give everyone the benefit of the doubt and don’t ever judge without facts, for you never know how your assumptions and harsh words can affect an individual or even an entire student body.