PB Music Students Head to Myrtle Beach

Sydney Muhindi, Staff Writer

Going to another state without your parents is a big deal for some. But going with your friends is even better, when there is a competition being involved. Being on the road for more than 2 hours can become stressful but with the help with company from friends and chaperones you will have a blast.

From April 16-April 19, sixty-six band, choral, and orchestra members headed to Myrtle Beach for the Fiestaval Competition that pitted 7 schools from different states against each other. The competition was held in Myrtle Beach High School on Friday, April 17th.

Some of the different performances throughout the competition were exciting, while others were slow. The Paint Branch Jazz Singers sang a mixture of songs from the past and from today.  One of the songs they performed was “Stay” by Rihanna and Mikky Ekko.  Overall, they had the best songs and choreography. The other schools performed but didn’t really have that spark of energy that would keep the crowd awake.

Next the Concert Band performed, and they were great, as they played songs from famous composers with a spark of energy. One of the songs, “Yorkshire Ballad,” is a slow and sad song with all instruments participating.

After the concert band was the Concert Orchestra, who were among the last performances of the day.  They also played songs from famous composers. One song, “Dance of the Tumblers,” was particularly enjoyable and exciting.

One of the performers was freshman Evelyn Antezana, who said, “I was nervous playing in first chair and was afraid that I was playing too loud to hear people around me.” Even with her nervousness, Antezana still led the orchestra to a smooth and successful performance.

After all the performances, the group went to Broadway at the Beach. This place had everything, including carnivals and stores that no one had ever seen in Maryland. Everyone went their separate ways, doing the things that they wanted to do. Most seniors had already been on the trip and knew what was going on there. The stores were well put, and for 25 cents you we could feed the ugly fish at the docks.  Everyone had a blast.

On April 18th the group went to the award show where PB won more than five trophies for areas including intonation, rhythm, blending, and balance.  There were three trophies awarded to PB for individual performances and a first place in the instrumental music section. The group then went to a magic show where they saw magic tricks that blew their minds. Everything during those three days was a blast, especially for the freshmen since it was their first time going on a long-distance field trip in high school. The next day, it was time to go home and back to school.

During the three days in Myrtle Beach and half a day in Kings Dominion, everyone had fun and got to make friends with freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors who they had never even spoken to before the trip.  The music students represented Paint Branch well and displayed the program and the school’s respect and honor.