I’ll Take a Half-Day Schedule, Please

Arionna Douglas, Staff Writer

From the start of ninth grade, students hear about the mythical half day schedule. For some this is a dream that they cannot wait to pursue, while for others it does not even exist.

As a rising senior, I am especially happy that I am being given this opportunity because not only do I get to get out of school early, but it also means more opportunities for me as a young adult.

Because I will get out of school three hours earlier than it actually ends, I will have more time on my hands to be productive and hopefully begin to develop my life. I currently have a job, so having a half day means more hours at work, which means more money to save for college, because I do plan on trying to help my parents pay for my college education.

Giving students the option for a half-day schedule is a good thing because it helps those who have gotten good grades all through high school begin to experience the real world, outside of the school building. Why have them only sitting around or maybe running passes when they can be out working or doing something more productive such as working or volunteering, anything that will benefit their future.

Half days should only be accessible to a student who has met graduation requirements. If a student decides to go with the half-day schedule (it would be best to talk to your guidance counselor about it), be sure to spend some of his/her extra time doing volunteer work. Colleges love to see that, and so do employers. Whether you enjoy animals, children, older people, arts or something else, there is volunteer work out there that needs to be done. A half day schedule is a privilege that can potentially benefit you or your transcript.