PB Shows African Pride

Melanie Lopes, Staff Writer

Paint Branch High School introduces ASA to bring a spark of excitement to its student body. On Thursday September 24th, Paint Branch Students gathered to show their African Appreciation.

With Paint Branch High School having a large population of African students, it was no surprise when the idea of creating an ASA club was tossed in the air. What is ASA you ask? ASA stands for African Student Association. An association that comes with many different opportunities and activities for students to participate in and express themselves. On Thursday September 24th, Paint Branch students gathered in a classroom in order to learn and share their ideas. Ideas on all different types of aspects from fashion to dance, the students were very excited, holding dance battles in the classroom and even debating on which country makes better Jollof rice.

ASA is run by none other than Paint Branch students, Nwando Arah, Hannah Atenidegbe, Abena Adoko, Akua Appiah, and Nana Asiedu with sponsorship by Ms. Rose and Mr. Morel. ASA plans to make their debut on October 30th, for the Homecoming Pep-rally, dancing to many different songs from many different countries. “We plan to work hard, in order to compete against other schools, and to show our school that we are serious, we are taking this seriously” says senior Abena Adoko.  ASA eventually wants to compete with many other schools around Montgomery County, and they hope to improve and establish a name for themselves not only in Paint Branch itself, but also around the county, “We plan to work hard, in order to compete against other schools, and to show our school that we are serious, we are taking this seriously” says senior Abena Adoko. Senior Hannah Atenidegbe is working hard on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays after school in order to teach the candidates their tryout dance. ASA has a wide variety of students who would love to participate, and represent their countries with pride. If you are interested make sure to attend the meeting in room 2217 every Thursday at Lap.