Paint Branch NHS to Hold Blood Drive

My-Trinh Tran, Staff Writer

On Thursday October 15, Paint Branch high school students will get the opportunity to save a life.

Inova Blood Donor Services will be coming to the school to draw blood from the students who sign up to help. While there are not many requirements, the donor must be a high school student with parent permission to donate, be in generally good health, weigh at least 110 pounds and have a photo ID at time of donation.

Students who wish to donate would go to a designated area and test their iron levels, as they must have a certain amount in their body in order to donate. It is recommended that those wishing to participate eat iron-rich foods up to a week before hand in order to qualify. If the person’s iron level is too low, they are not allowed to donate, therefore it is important to do so.

Student then have the choice to donate whole blood or double red cells. They could also give platelets. These simple donations of a health body can save a life of someone who is less fortunate.

There are also perks of donating: free food, a free t-shirt from their design. These donations last for about half an hour to an hour a session. The person donating could also feel good knowing they have helped someone else. Students who have donated at least four times while they can also get a red tassel at their graduation.

Ms. Lueck, the sponsor for the blood drive, says “It’s a great opportunity to help people. It saves lives; donating blood to people who need it is a great thing and it makes you feel good as a person.” Inova “supplies lifesaving blood and blood products” to people all over. People who have given blood before often feel they have contributed to society in a positive way.