Paint Branch ASA “Steps Up” to Competition

Marley Kamara, Staff Writer

On Monday afternoon, Paint Branch High School students gathered together to officially open it’s first African Student Association. The club will allow students from different parts of Africa to come together and share their culture.

At around 2:50, Paint Branch students from grades 9-12 gathered in the Cafeteria to be taught a routine that they will be performing in the homecoming pep rally on October 30th. Schools all over the DMV have cheerleading teams, POM teams and step teams… but only a selective few have A.S.A teams. “We plan to do great and eventually go and compete” says Senior Hannah Atenidegbe. Sponsor and French 4 Teacher Mr. Morel says “I see them, practicing and they are doing an amazing job.” The choreographer, Hannah Atenidegbe, spends all her spare time at home coming up with the routines that will “slay” all the other A.S.A. teams. “Its hard work, but I mean it’s all worth it at the end of the day when I see people actually learning the dances and trying their hardest.” Hannah says. After homecoming, the A.S.A team plans to take on bigger and better obstacles. Bigger being facing our school rival Springbrook’s High School’s A.S.A team.

“Right now we are trying to get to homecoming, but we definitely would like to compete county wide!” senior Abena Adoko says. “To be honest, I don’t know if they do have county competitions… If there is, then we better start preparing!” Senior Naana Asiedu adds. No, they don’t offer community service options. But, if anyone would like to come to help out, all are welcome!

They all stay after school and put time into their routines… WITHOUT pay. They hope that their dedication takes their new team to shows and competitions.