Governor Hogan’s Executive Order to Require Maryland Public Schools to Start Classes After Labor Day is Good for Schools

PRO

Henry Ziperman, News Editor

August 31st, Maryland Governor Larry Hogan issued an Executive Order mandating that schools start after Labor Day, effective next school year. According to a press release from the Governor’s website, the “Executive Order signed will require that Maryland’s public schools begin after Labor Day, complete the 180 days that are required under state law, and adjourn by June 15, beginning with the 2017-2018 school year. ”

By extending summer vacation for schools, Governor Hogan promises economic benefits for Maryland. According to Governor Hogan, “a 2013 economic impact study by Maryland’s Bureau of Revenue Estimates found that a post-Labor Day school start could generate an additional $74.3 million in direct economic activity, including $3.7 million in new wages and $7.7 million in state and local tax revenue.” This multi-million-dollar increase in revenue for Maryland businesses could help re-energize the Maryland economy. You can’t fight facts – a post-Labor Day start time means more money in Maryland’s coffers and more money means better schools.

Governor Hogan is not the only one who recommends a post-Labor Day start for schools. In 2013, a group of teachers, administrators, school board members, PTA members, and other members of the public formed a nonpartisan task force convened by the Maryland State Government to “examine the effects of a post-Labor Day school start on Maryland’s education system, as well as its economy and tourism industry.” On May 19, 2014, according to a press release by the task force, “a motion was made to recommend to the Governor, a post-Labor Day start date for Maryland Public Schools. The motion was carried by a vote of 12 votes for the recommendation and 3 votes against the recommendation.” The task force also stated that “there was no compelling evidence that showed there was any impact on education starting post-Labor Day.” Again – the facts speak for themselves. This decision by the governor was not simply a pro-business plan that puts students second, it is a plan that has solid research behind it that shows that we can start school after Labor Day and provide a top-notch education to students.

An extended summer could have its drawbacks, like more expenses for Maryland families due to extra weeks of child care or summer camps. What this point fails to consider is that schools are not meant to be used as day care; the main focus of most schools is strictly academic. A post-Labor Day start is not only recommended by experts like the task force mentioned above, but is also proven to have other economic benefits for Maryland. With an extended summer comes more tourism, which generates revenue for Maryland businesses. The taxes from this extra revenue could go towards public services, like roads, parks, and schools.
Starting Maryland schools after Labor Day is in Maryland’s best economic interests, will not affect student performance, and extends the time that students and their families can spend together.