Schoolwork or Life?

Students Shouldn’t Have to Chose Between Enjoying Life and Academics

Julia Kabasela, Staff Writer

Is school and homework consuming your life? It sure is consuming my life. The amount of homework and schoolwork students get is outrageous.

The problem is the amount of work students get on a daily basis. It’s absolutely ridiculous and leaves me wondering when I can spend time with my family or have fun in my life. Students have other responsibilities in their lives like having jobs, going to different places, having experiences with friends, and taking care of and spending time with their families.

There is a solution for this: Teachers can stop giving homework that takes multiple hours to complete. An hour-long homework assignment does not help us learn, because the vast majority of students see something so difficult and just want to get it done.

Teachers should really think about assignments and try to limit them to about 20 minutes a night. If I had 20 minutes a night in four classes, I would still be doing more than an hour of homework, and that’s enough. But getting an hour’s worth of homework from 4 classes is too much.

Another great idea would be to give us homework only on the weekdays. The weekend is our break, a chance to be who we are and have a break from school-related stress.

To be honest, half the time I have to include the time I do my homework into my busy schedule, which is really hard and makes me anxious, which just gets added on top of my current stress.