Chinese Groom Fakes Family Members

Mariama Samateh, Staff Writer

In this day and age, literally anything is possible. One shining example of this is the news that  surfaced on May1st that a man in China allegedly paid 200 guests to attend his wedding to pose as family members! Yes, family members.

According to reports, his wife found out later during their wedding day that most of the guests attending the wedding were total strangers hired by her fiancée. Another twist on the day – this action  led to his arrest.

The main question that arose from this wild incident is “Why would anyone hire actors for their wedding?” According to BBC news, Mr.Wang, the groom, claimed that he hired those actors because his wife’s family didn’t actually approve of the wedding because he was poor. So, in order to save his family from being shamed, he just didn’t invite them, which is pretty ironic considering he didn’t invite them due to “being poor.” Many are still speculating how he was able to even pay people, considering his financial status.

Apparently, the actors that Mr.Wang hired were all local people. He hired taxi drivers or students as well as people he met  on a Chinese social media platform and negotiated a price to show up. The actors claimed they were “friends” of the groom. According the San Francisco Gate, his wife wasn’t really bothered due to the fact that she and her husband hang around a whole set of different people.

Though his bride was not completely upset with him, according to BBC News, his in-laws were.  His new in laws called the police on him after finding out about his act from some of his guests. Soon after, the police showed up at the nuptials and arrested the groom. What crime they arrested him for is  is unclear.

No updates have been posted recently, so we’ll just have to wait to find out whether he learned his lesson and if his wife – and in-laws – are coming to terms with the stunt.