Why the End of the School Year is Really Stressful

Prableen Katkar, Staff Writer

How do you feel about the end of the school year? Do you feel stressed?

If you are like most students, you do feel stressed, and you are relieved that the school year is almost over.  The truth is, we are all experiencing the stressfulness  of the end of the school year, a time when teachers seem to love to cram assessments in and  feel the need to teach a new lesson just as school is about to be  over.

Teachers  give what most students feel are too many assessments and assignments in the final weeks of  school which can easily kill a student’s grade. I have always wondered why they do this. Well, I got to know that it is not the teachers’ fault, because they must follow MCPS curriculum and let  the pace their class is working at dictate what is covered and how fast to go . Teachers also expect children to put their effort in, and of course they feel bad for cramming in everything, but they have to. It is their job to give out all the information and put in your final grades before the school year ends.

Teachers also know how children feel and try to make it easier for them, but sometimes it just doesn’t work, especially because everyone just wants to leave school

The end of the year is definitely stressful, but you have to keep it up and bear with it. The school year ending gradually makes students tempted to slack on schoolwork, homework assignments, and quizzes. I know that this applies to me as a student; I start to fall off towards the end of the year but, when it is time for quizzes and tests, I make sure that I study hard and do well so that my grade is good to go.

Students just need a vacation from school. Everyone is very fatigued by the end of the school year because of the assignments, tests, RQAs and, most of all, they have been learning the material for the past year. This means that, towards the end of the year, students are very tired.  Dealing with  7 classes every single day is tiring, especially when  we only get a 5-minute break between those periods. A forty-minute lunch is nice, but even that can feel short at times.

Of course, while students are tired and ready to call it a school year, so too are teachers. Teachers have significant  grading to do and have to make sure the students receive the information that they must have. No matter which perspective you look at it from – student or teacher- both feel stressed and want to get done with everything as soon as possible. Even teachers feel bad about giving out assessments during the last week and feel to fatigued too grade them as well.