Spiderman Homecoming: All Heroes Have to Start Somewhere

Aiesha Solomon, Features Editor

Have you ever compared your everyday life to a superhero’s, or wanted more than anything to be a real superhero? Well, of course you have because it would be awesome, but you don’t live in the Marvel world. But Peter Parker does and this high-schooler wants to be a superhero – an Avenger – more than anything.

In this new Marvel film, Peter Parker, better known for his superhero alter-ego Spider-Man, balances his life as a high school student in Queens, New York while learning how to fight everyday villains to protect his home city. Peter, played by Tom Holland, has to keep his identity a secret from everyone including his best friend Ned, played by Jacob Batalon, and his Aunt May, played by Marisa Tomei.

This version of Spider-Man finds Peter working on his crime-fighting skills under the tutelage of none other than Tony Stark – aka Iron Man – played, as always, by Robert Downey, Jr. In the film, Peter works with Stark under the guise of an internship with “Stark Industries,” which is what he tells all of his friends and his Aunt May to distract them. While working with Stark, Peter tries his hardest to show off his skills to all of New York while also trying to prove himself to the rest of the high class heroes.

This film centers around some high-class, alien-inspired weaponry that has found its way onto the streets of New York. Everything in Peter’s life seems to be as usual until he notices a weapons deal going down and tries to put a stop to it as Spider-Man. He does pretty well until he ends up chasing their van around multiple New York neighborhoods, only to be grabbed out of thin air by the movie’s villain, Vulture, played by Michael Keaton. Vulture leads the group selling the alien weapons to New York criminals, and Spider-Man decides that this group will be his proving ground. From this point on the film revolves around Spider-Man foiling Vulture’s plans while dealing with the fact that Vulture wants him dead.

Like many Marvel films, this movie has its moments of seriousness that have you on the edge of your seat, but also makes sure to work in funny moments to bring some levity to the film. Whether it be laughing along with MJ, played by Zendaya, who is always messing with Peter and Ned, watching Spider-Man make his own spider webs in Chemistry class, or the trials and tribulations Peter goes through as he gets used to his new superhero suit, the film has some great moments of humor.

However, what really stands out about this movie has to be its relatability to many of the characters, especially Peter as he can remind adults about many of the trials that they experienced during their high school years, and teens who are go through his everyday routine each and every day, including having to deal with bullies like Flash Thompson, played by Tony Revolori, while still getting straight A’s in all of his classes. This also seems to be the first Spider-Man movie with strong diversity within its cast, making it even more relatable. For its diversity, hilarity, relatability, and incredible plot-twists I give Spiderman Homecoming a 9.5 out of 10 stars.