High School Was…

He Said

Alfonse Adiama, Staff Writer

High school was…

…a learning experience. That is the most rudimentary form I can put it in if I truly want you to understand how truly captivating, joyous, painful, calming, and irritating high school was. And we’re just getting started.

From that first Monday I walked into Paint Branch, I can remember how I had everything planned out. Boy, was I wrong. PB took all of that and put it in a blender. This may sound cliche, but I’ve grown – not only physically, but, more importantly, my mindset has grown, changed. My group of friends has changed. My appreciation for how hard teachers work and the actual work you have to do (not only in the classroom but outside of it) to be in good standing with teachers has grown.

The boy has become a man. Of course, there are still parts of me that will never change. Like it or not, the characteristics that some people don’t necessarily agree with in my personality will always be there. They are what make me who I am, and they are here to stay.

Over these last four years I’ve made friends, and I’ve also lost some. I will make new friends in college and throughout my life. I’ve also made family. Family is more important than friends.

Now let me get back to the point. When I say high school has been a learning experience, I mean I’ve learned that for every action, there is a reaction. I feel like high school has given me a taste of what can happen in the “real” world based on decisions I make. And if you ask me, that’s the goal. I can’t wait for what comes next.