Panthers Drop Blazers in Tight Match up

Niya Hamilton, Staff Writer

In a strong 4A East matchup, the Paint Branch Panthers Jv Girls’ Basketball team won a hard fought battle against the Blair Blazers at home 38-30.

The crowd was not as packed as varsity game, the parents and friends in the crowd made some noise. In the first quarter, there was a lot of back and forth as well as some unnecessary fouls, missed called fouls, and other plays that made the game seem more forced than it needed to be. The second quarter continued with difficult play and both teams ended the first half with a lot of fouls. The fouls did allow for some scoring though. For PB, sophomores Taylur Breedlove and Tayja Harris converted fouls into points, including six for Breedlove who put her team in the lead despite some late-half step up by the Blazers to close the score to 19-13, PB.

In the second half, the Panthers started off by scoring two by sophomore Princess Ghartey. The Blazers fumbled the ball and had a turnover, which PB turned into three by Harris.

The Blazers made the first four points in the second half with two fouls on the Panthers and a two pointer. The Panthers responded with back to back layups, which came because they kept setting screens on the defense allowing strong defensive play.

The Panthers and Blazers continued with some back and forth scoring and ending the third quarter in a tight matchup at 25-24, Panthers ahead.

With the game close, the crowd started to get really loud and hyped to see who would take the win. Starting the fourth quarter, the Panthers looked to build on their one point lead, but the quarter saw some fouls for the both teams. The Blazers made three points off of a free throw and scored a two pointer as the teams continues to foul one another.

The Panthers caught back up with two free throws by Ayo Adeigte. The Panthers were able to maintain their lead with some more three throws, a two pointer, and a rebound from a free throw. As a result, the battle was won by the Panthers with a final score of 38-30. Both teams played tough in a back and forth fight.